Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Born on a Blue Day

In my english class we were recently assigned a book report. We could pick any book we wanted as long as it was nonfiction. I had heard about this book, Born on a Blue Day by Daniel Tammet and I thought I would give it a shot.
I ended up loving it.
The overall point of the book is to describe what it’s like to have savant syndrome and how with hard work, one can overcome any obstacle. The book is an insight in to his mind, which is full of numbers that he sees as shapes, colors and textures. He has the incredible mental power to memorize things like 22,000 digits of pi and the ability to learn new languages in no more than a week. Daniel Tammet is proof that those with autistic disorders like him have a chance to live a happy and independent life. By accepting his differences, learning to communicate with others, and eventually finding love, he doesn’t need to try to fit in because he is comfortable with who he is.
I highly recommend it to anyone who is interested in seeing the world from an autistic savant's point of view and learning what it's like to always feel like an outsider.
I didn't think I would like it as much as I do now. It was pleasantly surprising and I learned a lot from Tammet. If he can learn to love the person he is and believe in himself, even with all the hardships he faced throughout his lifetime, then so can I.

No comments:

Post a Comment